It has been over two months since I’ve last posted on this blog. I swear I have a good reason this time! Remember how I said I had some projects brewing in the distance? Well, one of them was applying to SJU’s MA in Writing Studies program for Fall 2012.
HEY! GUESS WHAT HAPPENED WITH THAT?
I’m only accepted provisionally — that means they will review my progress at the end of the semester and decide whether or not I will be fully accepted and continue on in the program — but I think I’m doing well, so far. Sadly, though, this means that I can devote much less time to the Aspie Epilogue than I used/want to. Rest assured, I am still alive and as opinionated as ever.
SPEAKING OF ME BEING AS OPINIONATED AS EVER…
I have a bone to pick with the word “cure” as it relates to ASD.
I have no problem with researching new treatments and methods of bringing everybody affected to the same social page as our NT peers. Don’t get me wrong; I would LOVE to see a world, in which, the puzzle is completed. I’d love to see the day ASD isn’t as scary sounding as it once was (and maybe still is, as things stand).
Then there are the people who talk about “curing” Autism. Stop! Just, please. Stop right there!
To “cure” somebody implies that there is a disease within the subject’s body that should not be there. It implies there is something WRONG with us. That we are not “normal.” That we are unable to function as human beings.
Let me bust that myth right here and now:
1. ASD IS NOT A DISEASE. IT MEANS SEEING THE WORLD DIFFERENTLY THAN MOST PEOPLE. A DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE IS NOT A DISEASE.
2. THE ONLY THING WRONG HERE IS THE ATTITUDE THAT THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH US.
3. NORMAL IS A SUBJECTIVE WORD. WHAT IS NORMAL TO SOME MAY NOT BE NORMAL TO OTHERS. ERGO, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS NORMALCY.
4. WE ARE ABLE TO FUNCTION. JUST BECAUSE WE DON’T FUNCTION LIKE YOU OR AS EFFICIENTLY AS YOU DOES NOT MEAN THAT WE CANNOT FUNCTION. SOME OF US FUNCTION BETTER THAN SOME NT’S OUT THERE.
5. SURE, THERE ARE SYMPTOMS. IF YOU CATCH THEM SOON ENOUGH, THEY ARE COMPLETELY TREATABLE. FOR SOME PEOPLE, THAT MAY TAKE LONGER THAN FOR OTHERS. LIKE WITH ANY SYMPTOM, THERE CAN AND WILL BE SOME RELAPSES IN PROGRESS.
6. WE HAVE THE FULL POTENTIAL TO BE HUMAN BEINGS, AND WE TRY OUR HARDEST TO BE SO. WE HAVE DIFFICULTY WITH SOCIAL SITUATIONS. THEREFORE, WE HAVE TROUBLE READING EMOTIONS AND WILL TEND TO MISS SOCIAL CUES FROM TIME TO TIME.
7. WE ENDURE SO MUCH MORE TORMENT FROM YOU GUYS THAN YOU ARE EVEN AWARE YOU ARE SUBJECTING US TO. YES, WE DO UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE SAYING. AND YES, IT HURTS US VERY MUCH, EMOTIONALLY. THINK ABOUT HOW IT’S GOING TO SOUND TO ME VERSUS HOW IT SOUNDS TO YOU BEFORE YOU PUT YOUR FOOT IN YOUR MOUTH.
THIS IS WHO WE ARE. THIS IS PUZZLE PRIDE. WE MAY NOT HAVE ACCOMPLISHED THE SAME TYPE OF THINGS AS YOU, BUT WE HAVE ACCOMPLISHED FAR MORE IN QUANTITY AND IN QUALITY.
I’M WEIRD! I’M LOUD! IF YOU DON’T LIKE IT, THEN WALK AWAY! BECAUSE WE ARE THE 1-IN-88, AND WE’RE NOT GOING ANYWHERE ANYTIME SOON!