Hello, Spectrumites! I’m Jon from The Aspie Dialogues, and I have a major undertaking that I’m going to need as many people as possible to help me with as possible. Do you think you’re up for it? You are? Great!
I rebranded The Aspie Epilogue as The Aspie Dialogues with the intent in mind that we can make a difference in the way neuro-typicals (NT’s) think about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
I believe we can take all the focus from Autism Awareness and channel it further into Autism Acceptance.
That won’t be easy, and it will take a lot – and I do mean A LOT – of time and effort to achieve, but I still believe it can be done.
That’s because I believe in us. I believe in the ASD communities that exist in many different venues. I believe in the work we are doing, and I believe there’s more to us than many NT’s give us credit for.
In short, I believe we can change the cultural conversation about ASD into a more hopeful, more positive discussion.
Here’s where I need EVERYBODY’S help with this:
If we’re going to change the perception of how ASD is thought of in the NT mindset, they need to hear from us how ASD is thought of in the Spectrumite mindset. That’s a bigger job than I can do on my own, and I’m going to need help from as many of you as possible to get the job done.
So, here’s my challenge to you, dear Spectrumites:
I want to know what drives you in this life. Is there a single motivating force you believe in or moral/ethical code you adhere to? When all else fails, how do you carry on? What gets you through your day and motivates you for tomorrow? Do you have any quotes, movies, books, etc. that inspire you to keep going?
Now’s your chance! I want you to submit your answers to that question to the email on the About page by August 31. On September 15, I will compile your messages and post them to a special page on this blog for all the world to see – even the NT’s.
You may be wondering about the rules. Well, here they are:
- Submit your message to email@example.com with the subject line, “PPT Challenge.”
- Please only include your First Name and Last Initial with your message ONLY if you do NOT wish to remain anonymous. If you wish to remain anonymous, please mention so in the subject line. So, if you wish to remain anonymous, your subject line should look like this: “PPT Challenge – Anonymous.”
- Please refrain from using harsh language on the site. If your message contains foul language, it will NOT be included. You have been warned!
- Please respect others when addressing them and their messages. I should not even need to say this, but Internet Logic…
- Your message may be as long or as short as you desire.
- Please, only ONE submission per person.
- All submissions MUST be received no later than 11:59 PM on August 31.
- The final page with your messages will go live September 15.
I will do my best to accommodate as many of the messages as I can by then.
The cultural conversation about ASD is a two-sided discussion. So far, the NT’s are the only one’s talking. Let’s change that.
There’s a shift in the conversation; now, it’s our turn to speak. Let’s take some of these scattered pieces and start finishing the puzzle. One voice at a time.
Are you with me?